Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 4- Fishes and Facials

No. I didn't get a facial... but. I could have. Today was my anticipated last day in Tokyo and thus I set out to do some very Japanese things.

Firstly I thought, what is more Japanese than the freshest sushi on the planet? So I took an early morning trip down to the world renown Tsukiji Market. Tsukiji is made most famous for its live fish auction in which fish mongers from all around the Japan come and bid on the days catch. The highlight? half ton tuna.. I saw some big ones, no where near a half ton but those fish are massive. I really can believe there are any fish left in the oceans after seeing this market...

Some of the days coveted catch

Then I made good on my goal and had some fresh sushi. I couldn't even afford the good stuff, but everything I did have tasted awesome. There were hour long waits at some of the tiny hole in the wall sushi stands inside of the market to eat sushi. Some of which were 800 yen a piece... roughly $10. Crazy.

Next, I decided I had to visit an Onsen. Onsens are bath houses which use water from a sacred hot spring and are considered to be very spiritual. I really just found it to be a slightly smaller slightly more nude Glenwood Springs but to each his own...

I just want to say you HAVE to wear a yakuta at an Onsen...

It was kind of a half day for me here because I had to get over to Narita Airport to catch a flight to Bangkok. Unfortunately the buddy pass struck again and I'm still in Tokyo for another night... There are worse things, however. So I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow in hopes of reaching the next chapter.

Double D

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You have done so much already! I honestly can't imagine being someplace where you don't speak the language and don't have an interpreter. I guess to borrow a lyric from an old song - "Thank heaven for little girls" :-) Love you Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha im afraid i dont know that one... thanks mi madre, love you too

      Delete