Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day 29- Mui Ne and the like...


Bonjour. It has been a while, but I’m back with tales of the north… or more accurately central. This past weekend a group of six volunteers took a bus to a town called Mui Ne which is about a 4 hour drive north of Saigon. We chose Mui Ne because it’s a beach town that had pretty good reviews from the local volunteers, and at 4 hours drive it was just far enough to where you cant successfully pull off a day trip. This means there is a lot less traffic and the area is much cleaner. Mui Ne was definitely as advertised…

If I had to describe Mui Ne I would say it is very quaint. Much different landscape than the other parts of Vietnam I have visited, and with a beach you really cant go wrong. We made sure to get some sun at the beach and also did a phenomenal tour for $6 that took us about 50 kilometers outside of Mui Ne to some local sand dunes where you can sled, hike and rent ATV’s. It was a pretty amazing few days.

We are now headed back to home base for some more volunteering which is going very well. My regular classes have started to take a liking to me, the older local volunteers I teach all want to be my friend on facebook, and I really enjoy being the cool “good cop” teacher for all the little kids. Sometimes I do have to check myself though and do some disciplinary stuff.

I only have 9 more days in this great country before I’m en-route to good old Colorado. Life out of a backpack definitely wears you out slowly… so needless to say I will definitely be ready for a lot of commonality of home. But before then I have some more teaching and a visit to another town to the north: Da Nang. Keep on pluggin and live it up, no regrets.


Here is a video I put together from the Mui Ne excursion…

Mui Ne from David Daly on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. Dave Daly - are you actually teaching English over there or are you just riding ATVs, swimming, exploring, and having a blast? I'm not certain you're actually working ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all I haven't worked a day since i got here so.. take that. its all been a blast

      Delete